BrettYoung partners with multiple suppliers to bring you options on canola seed treatments that you can choose from for your farm. Most often seed treatments adequately control the insect pests they’re labeled for but when pest numbers are high, or conditions are right, they may not. If you find yourself needing to overspray a foliar insecticide this spring to control labeled pests, your BrettYoung canola may qualify for the Syngenta Canola Seedcare Performance Package or the Bayer BUTEO™ start Assurance Program.
If flea beetle feeding is causing 25% defoliation or higher, or more than 4 cutworms per square meter are present in your seedling canola, you likely qualify for a rebate on Matador® 120EC or Decis® insecticide.
BrettYoung® Canola Seed Treatment Options and Manufacturer Warranty Coverage
Flea Beetle Coverage
*Within 3 days of application or by June 30, 2022, whichever is earlier.
Your retailer or BrettYoung Regional Account Manager can help you through this process – if you are unsure what coverage you may qualify for, contact one of them.
When out evaluating your fields for insect damage, here’s a few things to keep in mind:
- Some damage can be expected as flea beetles and cutworms need to feed on and ingest some of the plant before they are controlled.
- Early in the season you’ll find flea beetles near the field edges, but they’ll move inwards as time goes on so inspect the whole field . The best practice is to use a “W” scouting pattern.
- The action threshold to spray flea beetles is at the 25% leaf area defoliation stage. Damage can quickly progress to 50% leaf area defoliation which is considered the economic threshold, as at this point plant damage will result in yield reductions.
- Windy conditions may drive flea beetles to feed on the stems, this causes more damage in a shorter period of time than leaf feeding.
- The action threshold to spray cutworms is when greater than 4 cutworms per square meter are present, or when 25 – 30% stand reduction is seen. Spot spraying is recommended to control cutworms as they are seen in patches.
- Scout your fields often to watch for changing levels of feeding activity.
Always consult your retailer or crop advisor for best practices on spray timing and necessity. Other resources, like the Canola Council, have further information about assessing flea beetle and cutworm damage, and understanding their feeding patterns.
How to Make a Flea Beetle or Cutworm Control Claim with your BrettYoung Canola Purchase.
If after scouting your field you determine flea beetle damage is at or near the 25% defoliation threshold, and you purchased canola seed treated with:
- Helix® Vibrance® or Fortenza® Advanced: Call Syngenta at 1-87-SYNGENTA (1-877-964-3682) or
- BUTEO™ start: Call Bayer at 1-844-250-9362
For claims involving cutworms when populations exceed 4 per square meter and you purchased canola seed treated with:
- Fortenza or Fortenza Advanced: Call Syngenta at 1-87-SYNGENTA (1-877-964-3682)
- For full Terms and Conditions visit the Syngenta Canola Seedcare Performance Package or the BUTEO start Assurance Program.
Always read and follow pesticide label directions. Bayer, BUTEO™, Decis®, EverGol® and Prosper® are trademarks of Bayer Group. Helix ® Vibrance®, Matador® and Fortenza® are trademarks of the Syngenta Group Company. All other trademarks are the trademarks of their respective owners.